Monday, April 23, 2012

Love hurts ?

So driving back home from scouts yesterday Cat & I were chatting. She had seen Valentine's day over the weekend and I wanted to know what she thought of it.

'it was nice, but everyone cheats' ... Cat

'what do you mean, there are some people in the movie who cheat but not everyone cheats' .... me

'well all men cheat' ... Cat

'no not all men cheat, your dad has never cheated and trust me he will not, he's the most loyal person you will ever know' ... me

'mmh come back & talk to me in mmh 5 years, you'll see' ... Cat

'no my girl, your dad is not like that. Plus, both your grandparents and great grandparents were happily married and none of them ever cheated on each other.'

'that is why you need to make sure that when you get married one day that you pick a man who will never cheat on you, who will treat you the way you deserve to be treated' ... me


credit

I'm not quite sure why my daughter is such a pessimist when it comes to love. She is growing up surrounded by people who are happily married. Most of her friends parents are happily married, yet she seems to believe that all men cheat. She's not ok with it but she seems to expect it.

Things really were very different when I grew up. Not for once instance did I ever imagine that my dad would cheat on my mom or visa versa.

And I know some people might think that I'm naive but I don't for a moment think that Himself would cheat on me. It's got to do with who he is as a person.

He might not be perfect but he is loyal to a fault. He also tells me all the time that if you are going to cheat you 'cheat up not down' which means he's going to have to look quite hard to find someone better than me
J

3 comments:

  1. Cat sounds like she's at a normal age to think of all this and hey, at her age, maybe a bit of pessimism is okay if it'll keep her away from the boys!!! ;)

    I grew up surrounded by failing relationships, so it's a wonder I wasn't more pessimistic myself!

    It sounds like you said all the right things, though, Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sad attitude towards love. It hurts my heart a little that someone so young is already so jaded. :o( Maybe it's just a phase. Could be the influence of TV and movies where it does truly seem like every couple deals with cheating. I unfortunately have seen this happening a whole lot in my close friends' relationships. I'm trying not to let it make me see love and marriage differently, too, but it's hard when it's all around you. Keep that faith you have in your husband. If you're that confident in his loyalty to you, then I highly doubt you have anything to worry about!

    ReplyDelete