Thursday, April 25, 2013

This little piggy went to market, this little piggy went where?


So … yesterday I took the day off to take Cat back to the hospital to have her cast removed. That went well.Two more weeks without any running or swimming which is proving quite hard cause by yesterday evening I had to remind her ‘no running up the stairs’.

But something interesting did happen while we were waiting to see the doctor.  There was a lady there with two little girls. The eldest was, if I had to guess, about 4 and then a little one of around 2.  I can’t be sure if she is from Morocco or Turkey but she cleary is a Muslim.

She was waiting to see a doctor but didn’t have an appointment. So finally she approached one of the nurses.  Only here Dutch was really bad, so she was switching between some Dutch, some English and some French. The nurse had no idea what she was on about.

I figured it out.  So I explained to the nurse what the lady was asking/saying.

Turns out that while they were in the bath the little girl was jumping up and down and somehow fell onto her mom’s foot. As in, the moms toe went up the little girls’ vajay-jay.

Now this is where the big drama comes in. The mother is very worried that this may have broken the little girls’ hymen, which would be a massive problem for her when she gets older.

The nurse just said, no there is no issue, and told her to go see her house doctor and walked off.

So the lady came and sat down next to me. She told me that she had taken the little girl to their house doctor, twice and he confirmed that everything was still in tact. But she wanted to see a paediatric gynaecologist because this was very serious.


I explained to the lady that it was highly unlikely and that her daughter would have bled if anything had happened but she was not sure. She also told me that she did not believe her doctor cause she was sure that he did not know anything about vajay-jays. I then explained to her that all doctors know about vajay-jays because they all had to torn about all the parts of the body to become a doctor.

Then Cat wanted to know what this was all about so I had to explain about it to her and explain to her why this was such a big issue for the lady. And how, one day when the girl was big it might seem that she was not a virgin and how that is a problem if you are a Muslim.

O she said. And that was that.

By the time we left the mom was still sitting there waiting so I’m not sure if she got to see a paediatric gynaecologist.

I must admit that I’m very glad that I don’t have to live with that constant worry.  I’m glad that I don’t live in a society where the state of your hymen is THAT important.  And I’m glad my daughter doesn’t have to worry about it.

4 comments:

  1. yikes!! quite the scene there. I'm with you. I cannot imagine some of the things I hear about

    ReplyDelete
  2. yikes that is really some drama

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also glad that that isn't something that I have to worry about for my sake or my daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a crazy story. I can't imagine worrying about something like that either. It seems so irrational. That poor woman! :(

    ReplyDelete