Friday, October 12, 2012

Ranting bout the fandamily or is that damn family


Okay so I was speaking to my cousin today (yay, she called me all the way from Australia!) and she was telling me what her brother had said to her when she was telling him about her trip to South Africa in December.

Quick background: he is married & him and his wife are expecting their first baby, a boy, in November.

Right, so he was saying to my cousin, his sister, that she should not be offended but when she comes to visit in December, to see their baby, amongst other things, that she would have to arrange for somewhere to say. Reason being that for the first 3 months after baby is born they will not have anyone stay over at their house. Since the first 3 months will be such a hard adjustment for them as a family.

Say what?!  

Look, I get that I was a super relaxed mom when it came to my kids as babies and that not everyone is like that but dude, are you for real?  It’s a baby; it fits into your life. Granted you’ll be getting less sleep and you’ll have to have regular feeding and diaper changes but you can’t lock yourself away for 3 months!

Either people are going to think that you have one ugly kid and that you don’t want people to notice or by the time you realize that millions of people have babies and have had house guest and friend and family stay over no-one is going to be interested in your baby. Plus your child will be petrified of meeting people which will lead to your child never being able to function properly.  It’s just a downward spiral, I’m telling you, open your house, have your mother and your sister and your cousin and the neighbour and anyone who cares to change the baby’s diaper. Let them take the baby for a walk. Sleep while they are doing this cause they sure as hell are not going to be getting up with you at night to do it. 

Ugh, am I glad that I wasn’t planning a trip over to South Africa to meet their baby, cause you know I’m not the baby’s aunty I’m just the baby daddy’s cousin who knows if I would even be able to meet the baby.….


And Charl if you are reading this, dude, you gotta give me a call, we need to talk!  

4 comments:

  1. Aw, that's too bad... some people are like that, and I guess it's their perogative, but it makes it hard for family who just want to meet the new addition and shower him or her with love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know a lot of people who do this actually. Maybe it's not that strange in America? I dunno. I was like you...there were about 50 people present for my labor (not during the actual birth), and then we had visitors in and out of the house for probably 6 months afterwards. It didn't bother me. I loved the distraction, but I think there's a lot of people who don't. They might change their minds after a couple of weeks back home though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw that's so bad that they are shutting them self off like that

    ReplyDelete
  4. um, sounds like she is in for a rude awakening!!!!

    ReplyDelete